Saturday, January 22, 2022

Los Algodones, The Molar Capital of the world Jan 21


 Los Algodonas is a town of between 5 and 6 thousand people in Baja California, Mexico. On the map it is where Arizona, California, and Mexico touch.  Approximately 33,000 people cross this border daily. I am assuming that the number of people is 1/2 that as most people go over and back in one day. I have read that 12,000 workers cross the Mexican border daily to come to work , but not all would be at this crossing. Most people drive to the parking lot and walk across. Parking is $5.00 , we paid $8 for the gypsy wagon. It is a 5 minute walk and you are in the center of town. 

The crazy thing is if you walk across, you do not go through customs. You just walk along a side walk that is fenced on both sides and you are in center town, Cars must go through customs. If you wanted to, you could walk across , meet a friend and head for Cancun, no questions asked. Coming back is another story. The line up at the border yesterday was 1 1/2 hours, yes standing in a line up. We have been up to 3 hours a few times in the past.



The famous Trump Wall

It was interesting, all of stool pigeons pigeons on the wall were looking at the American side.

23 degrees and this vendor had long sleeves and a vest. It must have been the cold drinks he was selling .


Bargain hunting at its best.   I bought a good leather belt that started at $30 and ended up at $10












There are over 350 dentist in Los Algodones. The reviews all claim that you save 50 % or more and get great quality work. The dentist I went to was recommended by a couple from Alberta who have been coming to Yuma for 30 years.  Ron is 83 and Eady is 80, wonderful people,  and they are traveling in a class c similar to ours. They have just been every where in Arizona , California, and quite a few trips to Mexico. Eady has been going to this dentist for I think 16 years. I phoned made an appointment and that was it.

The waiting room when we arrived. State of the art. 


Dr Ernesto and his assistant Marie.  I explained that I had a broken tooth that needed repairing and that two teeth had broken of my upper plate, He suggested that since the broken tooth had already had a root canal, that the best solution would be an implant ,$750.00. That is a great price , but I figures that that would work out to about $30 per year for the rest of my life , now that is a bit rich, even for an optimist. LOL.  We settled on a filling for $50.00. and a cleaning for $20.00. The plate was an interesting story. $400.00. They took the impression and asked me to come back in 40 minutes. They had built the plate with the actual teeth out of wax and they were ready for the 1st fit. They got them to fit pretty well and took and impression of the lower teeth so they would be able to work on the alignment and fit with the lower teeth and asked me to return in an hour and a half.



Rose is faking it. That was my margarita, I don't want any one to think she fell of the wagon.
Those are the absolute best, I have waited 2 years for that one.

Our Mexican lunch


Fun place to come for lunch, great margaritas and live Mexicana music



An hour and a half later we returned and they had completed the plate , although only out of wax, Another fitting, and when they seemed to fit perfectly, he took a final mold of the roof of my mouth to get the proper suction fit. 


They had the upper plate attached to this apparatus with a mold of the bottom of my mouth so you cold see the alignment and what the final a fit would be like. Pretty cool experience. Now they will make the final product out of resin , and be ready for pick up tomorrow morning. My appointment is for 2 pm. 




This is where we lined up for 1 1/2 hours to cross the border.















2 comments:

Lera Ryan said...

Tasty looking lunch.
Were you looking for a discount for the dental promo?! The cost of an implant is attractive!
I hope people in that lineup were wearing masks ... and being patient!

Bob said...

Not really doing a dental promo. Before we left to come here every one that I talked to about getting dental work done were pretty skeptical, so I thought that I would just share the information. Besides I think it is pretty interesting that 350 or so dentists in a city of only 5 or 6 thousand people is interesting.